If your drive is connected to your computer: Seagate has created a very simple tool that will tell you the serial number and the model number of any and all Seagate and Maxtor-brand drives connected in or to your computer. Use the DriveDetect.exe method to find both numbers.
You can also use SeaTools to display each number.
If your drive is not connected to your computer: See the flash-based Serial Number locator tool to find your serial number and model number (and/or occasionally the serial number and the part number) on the drive label.
Once the model number has been located, you can determine the drive specifications such as capacity by visiting our Interpreting Model Numbers page or our Product Finder for more detailed information.
If the drive is still in the computer: Macintosh computers
If the drive is still installed in your Macintosh, you can use the Apple System Profiler to determine the model number and serial number.
Mac OS X:
1. Double click your Macintosh hard drive icon (usually located in the upper right-hand corner of your OS X desktop).
2. Select Applications.
3. Select Utilities.
4. Select Apple System Profiler.
5. Select Devices and Volumes.
6. Click the down arrow next to your Seagate drive. Look for Product ID and Serial number.
Mac OS 8.5 through 9.22:
1. Go to the Apple Menu.
2. Select Apple System Profiler.
3. Select Devices and Volumes.
4. Click the down arrow next to your Seagate drive. Look for Product ID and Serial number.