Seagate (NASDAQ: STX), the worldwide leader in hard drives and storage solutions, today introduced the next evolution of the Company’s award-winning FreeAgent® external hard drives: its new GoFlex™ storage solutions. This new family of external drives and accessories introduces a new level of flexibility to traditional USB 2.0 storage that will change the way people store, access, enjoy and share their digital content. The FreeAgent® GoFlex™ storage family includes easy, plug-and-play portable and desktop drives, with an array of interchangeable cables and desktop adapters that allow each drive to adapt to the interface or device being used. GoFlex hard disc drives are also specially designed to provide interoperability between operating systems in order to work with both Microsoft® Windows® and Mac® OS X computers.
“GoFlex™ interface cables are about providing the speed, performance and connectivity people need to support their interaction with their digital content. The explosive growth of video capture and multimedia collecting is expanding personal digital libraries to terabytes worth of content within the home,” said Dave Mosley, Executive Vice President, Sales, Marketing and Product Line Management at Seagate. “These trends are driving demand for high-capacity, high-performance storage. The GoFlex™ family of storage products meets this need by delivering simple, USB 2.0 storage and backup devices, with the flexibility to adapt as interface technology advances by using the various GoFlex™ cables and accessories to access content stored on the same drive.”
Protect, store and access files through the interface of your choice
Recent survey results by the Yankee Group indicate that more than half the people planning to purchase a new hard drive consider the interface connection an important factor in their selection. GoFlex drives address this concern by providing a flexible, plug-and-play way to adapt to the most popular available interfaces or devices. The seamless GoFlex™ cable system enables the GoFlex™ and GoFlex™ Pro ultra-portable USB 2.0 drives to be upgraded to USB 3.0, eSATA or FireWire 800 connections simply by replacing the cable adapter. Additionally, specially-designed GoFlex upgrade cables provide even more ways in which each drive can be used. For example, the GoFlex™ Upgrade cable – Auto Backup transforms the drive into a continuous full-system backup, giving consumers the peace of mind that their files and system settings are backed up, while leaving the remaining capacity for basic drag-and-drop file transfer.
“As consumer’s lives become increasingly connected, people will demand capabilities beyond the traditional hard drive,” said Carl Howe, Director, Anywhere Consumer Research, Yankee Group. “Consumers are looking not only for storage, but for new ways to use their digital content. Connecting, sharing and repurposing content is part of the purchasing decision process for today’s ‘Anywhere Consumer’®.”
Do More with the GoFlex Storage System
Within the GoFlex family, Seagate has created a special ecosystem wherein people experience easy backup and enhanced protection of all their data — the same way they would expect a traditional hard drive to perform — only now their interaction with that content is not wholly dependent on the drive. In addition to several cable options, people can pair a GoFlex or GoFlex Pro ultra-portable drive with a GoFlex™ TV HD media player or the GoFlex™ Net media sharing device to enhance their experience of the drive’s content.
Using the GoFlex™ TV HD media player, it is easy for consumers to enjoy their personal digital media library on their television screen by inserting a GoFlex ultra-portable drive or GoFlex Pro ultra-portable drive directly into the media dock, or connecting another storage device, digital or Flip camera to the two additional USB ports on the back of the device. Using the intuitive remote control, owners of GoFlex TV HD media players can view movies, photos and music from the comfort of their sofa in 1080p high definition and surround sound. Connect your GoFlex TV HD media player to the Internet using the Ethernet or optional Wi-Fi adapter and stream digital content from a home network or popular online service provider, such as Netflix, YouTube, MediaFly, Picasa and more.
The GoFlex™ Net media sharing device transforms a GoFlex ultra-portable drive, GoFlex Pro ultra-portable drive, or any USB mass storage, into a media sharing device, allowing consumers to enjoy their digital content outside their home using a PC, iPad, iPod Touch, Android, iPhone, BlackBerry or any other Internet-connected computer. The GoFlex Net media sharing device also integrates with social media websites, such as Facebook and Twitter, and publishes RSS feeds allowing people to keep friends and family updated. GoFlex media sharing device owners can also stream content to other devices on a home network, including the GoFlex TV HD media player, to enjoy movies, photos and music on their TV.
Bridging the Gap between PC and Mac
For the first time, Seagate will include an NTFS driver for Mac® OS X on all GoFlex portable and desktop offerings, enabling storage of, and access to, files from both Windows® and Mac computers. The NTFS driver is simply installed once on your Mac computer, and allows access to, and storage of, files on a Windows-formatted¹ drive.
With capacities ranging from 320GB to 2TB, FreeAgent GoFlex ultra-portable and desktop drives provide high capacity, adaptability and ease-of-use with all the backup and protection people have come to expect from Seagate. Available immediately through Seagate.com and certain online retailers, the GoFlex storage family includes:
- GoFlexTM ultra portable drive —The core of the GoFlex™ Storage System. Available in 14.5mm and 22mm versions and includes a USB 2.0 cable. MSRP US$99.99 for 320GB [silver, black]; US$129.99 for 500GB (silver, black, red, blue); US$169.99 for 750GB [silver and black]; US$199.99 for 1TB [silver, black].
- GoFlex™ ultra-portable drive, drive-only version: MSRP US$89.99 for 320GB [silver, black]; US$119.99 for 500GB [silver, black, red, blue]; US$159.99 for 750GB [silver and black]; US$189.99 for 1TB [silver, black].
- GoFlex™ Pro ultra-portable drive kit: A 7,200 RPM, 2.5” drive that delivers premium backup with encryption and includes a USB 2.0 cable. MSRP US$139.99 for 500GB; US$189.99 for 750GB [black].
- GoFlex™ Pro ultra-portable drive, drive-only version: MSRP US$129.99 for 500GB; US$179.99 for 750GB [black].
- GoFlex™ Desk external drive kit: Delivers high-capacity storage and automatic, continuous backup with encryption for all your files and includes a USB 2.0 cable. MSRP US$129.99 for 1TB [black]; US$199.99 for 2TB [black].
- GoFlex™ Desk external drive, drive-only version: MSRP US$119.99 for 1TB [black]; US$189.99 for 2TB [black].
GoFlex Cables and Adapters:
- GoFlex™ Cable – USB 2.0: The baseline interface for your GoFlex™ and GoFlex™ Pro ultra-portable drives. MSRP US$19.99.
- GoFlex™; Upgrade cable – USB 3.0: Equips your GoFlex™ and GoFlex™ Pro ultra-portable drives to deliver up to ten times faster transfer of files vs USB 2.0, while being backward compatible. MSRP US$29.99.
- GoFlex™ Upgrade cable kit – USB 3.0: Includes ExpressCard adapter to update a laptop and GoFlex™ ultra-portable drives from USB 2.0 to USB 3.0 and deliver up to ten times faster transfer of files than USB 2.0, MSRP US$79.99.
- GoFlex™ Upgrade cable – FireWire® 800: Upgrades your GoFlex™ and GoFlex™ Pro ultra-portable drives to deliver double the transfer speed of USB 2.0. MSRP US$39.99.
- GoFlex™ Upgrade cable kit – eSATA: Empowers your GoFlex™ and GoFlex™ Pro ultra-portable drives to deliver up to six times faster performance over USB 2.0. MSRP US$19.99.
- GoFlex™ Upgrade cable – Auto Backup: Delivers continuous backup and protection of data, giving consumers the peace of mind that their data is backed up, while leaving capacity for basic drag-and-drop file transfer. MSRP US$29.99.
- GoFlex™ Desk Desktop adapter — USB 3.0: Allows the GoFlex™ Desk to deliver up to ten times faster transfer speed over USB 2.0 for your desktop PC. MSRP US$39.00.
- GoFlex™ Desk Desktop adapter kit — USB 3.0: Includes PCI Express adapter to upgrade a desktop PC and GoFlex™ Desk external drive for USB 3.0 performance, MSRP US$79.00.
- GoFlex™ Desk Desktop adapter — FireWire® 800/USB 2.0: Upgrades your GoFlex™ Desk external drive to deliver double the performance of USB 2.0 with FireWire® 800/USB 2.0 for your desktop PC. MSRP US$49.99.
GoFlex Storage System Devices:
- GoFlex™ TV HD media player: Allows for enjoyment of digital content on a TV. MSRP US$129.99 for media player only.
- GoFlex™ Net media sharing device: Enables instant, easy access and sharing of content over a network. MSRP US$99.99.
- GoFlex™ Intelligent dock: Transforms the GoFlex ultra-portable drive into the perfect desktop solution that delivers convenient file access and backup with an easy-to-view capacity gauge. MSRP US$29.99.
Seagate is the worldwide leader in hard disc drives and storage solutions. Learn more at http://www.seagate.com.
© 2010 Seagate Technology LLC. All rights reserved. Seagate, Seagate Technology, the Wave logo, FreeAgent and GoFlex are trademarks or registered trademarks of Seagate Technology LLC or its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Actual data rates may vary depending on operating environment and other factors. The export or re-export of hardware or software containing encryption may be regulated by the US Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security (for more information, visit www.bis.doc.gov ). Complying with all applicable copyright laws is the responsibility of the user. Seagate reserves the right to change, without notice, product offerings or specifications.
¹Reformatting to HFS required to use backup software for Mac or Time Machine® software.