Mar 06, 2006
"The rapid spread of digital content in our personal and work lives continues to drive strong demand for consumer electronics devices and computing systems with higher storage capacity, performance, security and new capabilities that make storage easier and more cost-effective to deploy and use," said Brian Dexheimer, executive vice president of worldwide sales and marketing at Seagate. "Seagate continues to invest in technologies that give customers more freedom to move, manage and protect information used in computing and consumer electronics applications."
Seagate will stage the following product and technology demonstrations at IDF:
Seagate Technology - booth 549
* Barracuda 7200.9 low power spin-up drive - The industry's only 3.5-inch low-power spin-up disc drive for external storage enclosures. Built with Barracuda's signature reliability, these drives deliver the industry's lowest start-up current to increase system design flexibility and prevent system crashes or other start-up problems caused by the huge power draw when powering up external enclosures.
* Momentus 5400.3 - Designed for mainstream and high-capacity notebook and tablet PCs, the industry's first 2.5-inch disc drive to use perpendicular recording technology and deliver the highest areal density, 132 Gbits per square inch. The drive delivers up to 160GB of capacity, the highest available in a mobile form factor, and industry-leading shock tolerances.
* Momentus 5400 FDE - A hardware-based full disc encryption (FDE) solution that delivers strong protection for data stored on lost or stolen notebook PCs. The 2.5-inch hard drive, which encrypts and decrypts all data at full interface speed, provides advanced security capabilities for enterprise deployments including strong user authentication, instant erase, and key and password management.
* Wireless USB portable external hard drive - Seagate's popular 2.5-inch Portable External Hard Drive with a wireless USB connection. Wireless USB hard drives will eventually recognize any computer using standard wireless USB chipsets for easy file download and backup.
* CE-ATA interface - CE-ATA is the emerging a standard interface standard for new devices integrating 1-inch hard disc drives. CE-ATA uses a highly simplified, efficient command set and physical interface that will make it significantly easier to integrate hard drives into consumer electronics devices such as PDAs and cell phones. Seagate's implementation supports Intel XScale(tm) technology.
SATA-IO - booth 135
* Momentus 7200.1 100GB Serial ATA (SATA) hard drives - The world's first 2.5-inch 7200-rpm notebook drive with 100GB of capacity, the Seagate Momentus 7200.1 SATA hard drive will be shown powering a small form factor media server. Momentus 7200.1 is designed for high-performance laptops such as gaming and media systems and workstations where high data transfer rates are key.
Trusted Computing Group - booth 143
* Momentus 5400 FDE - Seagate and Wave Systems demonstrating notebook PC data protection integrating the Seagate Momentus 5400 FDE drive with Wave's Trusted Drive Manager, a plug-in module to Wave's Embassy Trust Suite. The suite of security tools provides access to the advanced security capabilities of Seagate FDE drives.
Seagate is the worldwide leader in the design, manufacture and marketing of hard disc drives, providing products for a wide-range of Enterprise, Desktop, Mobile Computing, and Consumer Electronics applications. Seagate's business model leverages technology leadership and world-class manufacturing to deliver industry-leading innovation and quality to its global customers, and to be the low cost producer in all markets in which it participates. The company is committed to providing award-winning products, customer support and reliability to meet the world's growing demand for information storage. Seagate was named 2006 Company of the Year by Forbes Magazine. Seagate can be found around the globe and at www.seagate.com.
Seagate, Seagate Technology and the Wave logo are registered trademarks of Seagate Technology LLC. Barracuda and Momentus are trademarks or registered trademarks of Seagate Technology LLC. When referring to drive capacity one gigabyte, or GB, equals one billion bytes. Accessible capacity may vary depending on operating environment formatting.