Upgrade a Laptop Hard Drive with Solid State Hybrid Drive (SSHD) Technology
Do you have a late model laptop computer that is either out of space or does not seem to deliver the performance you’re looking for? You can breathe new life into your computer and increase performance without having to purchase a brand-new laptop. A relatively new and exciting storage technology has come to market which will solve space/performance issues. It’s called Solid State Hybrid Drive technology or SSHD.
How to Use your Laptop Drive
This new hybrid storage category uses just a small amount of solid state storage and integrates it with a traditional hard drive. The result delivers exceptionally fast performance, large capacity points like a hard drive and a price that is very affordable. You can get performance you never thought possible and the extra capacity to store your digital life
Sound complicated? It’s actually quite simple. Replacing the hard drive in your laptop computer is much easier than you might think. Here are the three steps to upgrading the storage in your laptop computer.
- Buy the correct replacement drive to fit your computer.You will want to verify the physical size of your current HDD.1
- Copy (or clone) all the information from your existing drive to the new model.2
- Remove the old drive and replacement it with the new one.
Now that you know it’s relatively simple to tackle your own upgrade, let’s take a look at the two key tools you need to get it done:
- a cable to connect your new drive to your laptop, which enables you to make an exact duplicate of the data on your current drive; and
- a software application that automates this data duplication process.
Laptop Upgrade Bundle
You will need to purchase: a Seagate Laptop SSHD, the appropriate cable for your laptop, and the free DiscWizard™ software application.
- For Mac users, you will need the 750GB Solid State Hybrid Drive with Firewire 800 Upgrade Cable as seen on the Laptop SSHD Accessories tab Seagate Store (USA only).
- For PC users, purchase the 750GB Solid State Hybrid Drive with USB 3.0 Upgrade Cable as seen on the Laptop SSHD Accessories tab or the or the Seagate Store (USA only).
Seagate provides a free download of DiscWizard software, which includes a feature to automate the data duplication process or clone your installed hard drive.
Please read "How can I copy / transfer all the data from my old boot drive to my new Seagate drive?” to make a duplicate of your current drive.
There is no need to be afraid to tackle this simple but effective way to boost the performance in your aging laptop while simultaneously getting a bunch of needed capacity. You’ll be up and running in no time. Don’t be surprised when you start to think you’ve purchased a brand new system!
1 You can do this by checking your laptop documentation, checking the manufacturer’s website, or removing the drive and checking the model number of the hard drive itself. In most cases, your laptop is going to have a standard 2.5-inch HDD that is 9.5mm high. If your computer is relatively new, you might have a thinner HDD measuring only 7mm high. If your computer is really small and perhaps a little older, you may even have a 1.8-inch form factor HDD. In any case, it’s wise to know what you’re starting with, so you can purchase a replacement drive with the same physical dimensions.
2 This includes the operating system, device driver and all data, so that the new drive can boot and run your computer just like the original. This is often referred to as cloning. You need special software to help you with this step, so we’ll cover the options shortly.