Unless covered under other contractual agreement, the following applies to all consumer customer returns:
- You must pay shipping costs for all shipments from you to Seagate.
- Send your product to Seagate using the carrier of your choice. Please use a method with ability to trace shipment. Seagate is not responsible for shipments for which the carrier cannot provide proof of delivery.
- If your product is under warranty, Seagate will pay for postage of repaired/replacement products from Seagate to you. You must pay all applicable duties and customs charges for shipments to and from Seagate, unless otherwise authorized.
- Seagate is not responsible for loss or damage during transit. We suggest that you purchase freight insurance on your shipments.
- NO COLLECT SHIPMENTS WILL BE ACCEPTED without prior authorization from Seagate. Shipments arriving at Seagate with charges due are subject to being returned (unrepaired) with all charges, including return expenses, due and payable by the originator.
- You are responsible for saving or backing up data contained in any product returned to Seagate. SEAGATE WILL HAVE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR SUCH DATA AND WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF ANY DAMAGE TO OR LOSS OF SUCH DATA WHILE THE PRODUCT IS IN SEAGATE'S POSSESSION.
Replacement Product Notice
- Your original product will NOT be returned to you.
- Replacement products are factory-repaired products.
- Replacement products carry the greater of: original warranty balance or 90 days.
- Delivery is during normal business hours to the address you provide.
- All data and software on your returned product(s) will be lost.
- Replacement products arrive low-level formatted.
- Any required data recovery service must be completed BEFORE requesting an RMA from Seagate.
THE SEAGATE RMA (RETURN MATERIAL AUTHORIZATION) NUMBER ISSUED IS VALID ONLY FOR THE RETURN OF NON-CONFORMING SEAGATE PRODUCT UNDER WARRANTY. You agree not to submit to any products except in conjunction with a justified warranty claim. For example, you shall not send us through this RMA process any counterfeit products, products that we previously lost through theft or otherwise, products for which warranty coverage has expired or never existed (this is usually evidenced by removed, damaged or tampered labels), products that have only defects that are not covered by warranty (for example, most of our warranty statements do not cover problems caused by accident, abuse, neglect, shock, electrostatic discharge, heat or humidity, improper installation, operation, maintenance or modification, by other equipment or lost passwords, or by any other misuse contrary to the instructions in the user manual). Products that are determined to be No Trouble Found (NTF) are not eligible for warranty service. Before returning your product, you may use the Seagate SeaTools diagnostic tool to determine the condition of your product and whether it is eligible to be returned under warranty. Seagate reserves the right to return NTF products back to their owner and may charge for associated shipping costs. If you send us through this RMA process any products that are not covered by justified warranty claims, we may retain these products. Seagate reserves its right to exercise all of its legal rights in connection with fraudulent returns.
Updated: August 9, 2011NEXT STEP ›
For Seagate GoFlex Products:
See Knowledge Base Document ID: 219711 for instructions on which component(s) to return to Seagate in a warranty return shipment.
For Seagate or Maxtor External Hard Disk Drives:
Please DO send back to Seagate:
- External Drive
- Power Adapter
Please DO NOT send back to Seagate:
For Seagate or Maxtor Internal Hard Disk Drives:
Remove all accessories and/or spare parts. Ship the DRIVE ONLY. Seagate is not responsible for accessories; they cannot be returned.
Some examples of accessories are:
- Controller Cards
- Mounting Brackets
- Power Supply
- Slide Rails
For Samsung External Hard Disk Drives:
- Please DO NOT send accessories back to Seagate.
Use original packaging when possible, such as packaging sent with Advanced Replacement Order:
- Enclose each drive in an ESD (electrostatic discharge) bag, in an anti-static plastic shell (SeaShell) or anti-static bubble wrap.
- Secure each unit in 2 inch-thick foam rubber in a corrugated box. Do not use popcorn, peanuts, bubble wrap or newspaper. If packaging more than one drive, use a separate container for each drive.
- Print the order number on the outside of each box.
- For more information on how to pack your unit, please view:
For European customers, a T1 document must accompany the shipment if applicable (notify your agent).
For customers in Brazil please go to the following link to obtain the corresponding document that you NEED to send with your hard drive for the warranty procedure to be valid. http://www.seagate.com/br/pt/support/warranty-and-replacements/
Do not enclose any personal notes within your parcel. They will not reach the warranty support department.
Updated: March 8, 2012NEXT STEP ›
DATA ON RETURN DRIVES WILL BE LOST. Your original drive will NOT be returned. All data and software will be lost. If your warranty claim is justified, we may send you a recertified replacement unit. If not, we may retain your unit altogether. Either way, you will lose any data on the unit. The replacement drive will be low-level formatted. If you need the data on the drive and do not have a backup copy, you may want to consider data recovery services before sending the drive to Seagate for replacement.
REMOVE YOUR DATA. In order to protect your privacy and other interests in data, delete all data from the drive, as much as possible, before you return your original drive to Seagate. Your drive may be shipped to another country for purposes of repair and/or refurbishment. The destination country may not offer the same level of data protection as your home country (and, if you are located in the European Economic Area, may not ensure an adequate level of protection for purposes of European data protection laws). In the destination country, Seagate will take steps to delete and overwrite all data on the drive to protect your privacy. For more information about this process, please see Data Erasure for Returned Products. By accepting the Seagate Membership/E-Commerce Terms and/or returning your drive to Seagate, you consent to the shipment of your drive across borders and to the deletion of your data.
Any required data recovery service must be completed BEFORE shipping the drive(s) to Seagate for replacement. Data recovery is not covered under the Seagate limited consumer warranty and is not part of the repair and exchange process. If you would like data recovery performed on your drive it is available from Seagate as a separate service for an additional charge. Please see: http://services.seagate.com/ for additional information on Seagate’s data recovery service.
Updated: November 12, 2008