SCOTTS VALLEY, California -
New Products enable Wide Range of Consumer Electronics and Traditional Applications, including:
- First 2.5 inch hard drive using perpendicular recording
- First hard drive with Full Disc Encryption for strong data security
- First 8GB 1 inch hard drive for new handheld devices
- Breakthrough hard drive designed specifically for automobile applications
Further expanding what is already one of the industry's broadest product lines by delivering groundbreaking new hard disc
drives, Seagate (NYSE:STX) today announced several breakthroughs to enable the most compelling new applications for storage, including hard drives for the automotive market, the first 2.5 inch drive for DVRs and game consoles, and the first 8GB drive for portable media players. Seagate also wielded its significant technology lead to introduce innovations for the computing market, including the first 2.5 inch drives using perpendicular recording, the highest capacity external and portable hard drives, and the first drives with Full Disc Encryption for robust protection of users' personal data. In all, the storage giant announced 10 new products that build on its impressive array of disc drives for consumer electronics, enterprise, desktop and mobile computing markets.
With its leading investment in research and development, unique strengths in platform technology and design, and superior operational flexibility and leverage, Seagate is the category leader with a unique ability to address the future of storage in multiple applications and market segments - from CE to Enterprise. The diverse applications addressed and the myriad technology advances included in the Seagate announcements underscore how pervasive storage has become in everyday life and how demand for storage has skyrocketed.
"Our storage innovations are driving the infusion of exciting new capabilities into applications of all kinds, from the home to the office to the road and beyond," said Seagate President and CEO, Bill Watkins. "Seagate's unique, unflagging ability to meet the demands of both the consumer electronics and traditional computing markets is why we are the industry's leading seller of hard drives and why some of the biggest brands in the world partner with Seagate."
New Consumer Electronics Drives
Seagate's innovations for CE include new offerings designed to enable applications for the emerging "terabyte life", where digital storage is creating exciting new products and even new lifestyles. From automobiles and entertainment, to home cinema, handheld audio, video, communications and computing, Seagate's new consumer electronics offerings include:
- The EE25 Series — a breakthrough hard drive designed specifically for use in cars, the industry's first hard drive with extreme environmental resistance that can operate in temperatures from -30 to 85 degrees C and in high-humidity and high-altitude environments. With the industry's most stringent design for ruggedness, durability and protection from hostile environments, the drive will be an ideal choice to deliver the massive capacity needed for auto makers, system manufacturers and aftermarket companies to create DVD-free navigation systems and high quality car entertainment services.
- The ST1 Series — the first 8GB one inch hard drive designed for use in handheld and CompactFlash applications. It will let users store the industry's largest libraries of music (200 hours or 4,000 songs), video and digital photos for this class of product. Seagate's unique RunOn Technology improves performance while in a high-vibration environment, such as jogging. The ST1 Series supports low-power modes, and the drive's time-to-ready is a mere 1.2 seconds.
- The LD25 Series — the first 2.5 inch hard drive designed for the latest game consoles, and smaller, cooler-running and more cost-effective small footprint PCs and home entertainment devices. Today’s home technology must come packaged in system designs that fit style criteria as much as they support technology requirements. Increasingly, this means smaller, thinner, lighter systems that require smaller form factor hard drives. The drive's power consumption specs are ideal for low-power systems and add-on storage device requirements, and its whisper-quiet operation will deliver pure enjoyment of digital media.
- The DB35 Series — with a new 500GB capacity - the industry's highest - for DVR and home entertainment systems. It will provide up to 85 hours of High-Definition TV recording, 500 hours of standard TV recording and up to 10 simultaneous TV streams. DynaPlay Technology fine tunes the drive's operating parameters for entertainment applications, including performance for uninterrupted digital media, security to enhance fair use of digital programming, and power to give manufacturers more leeway in selecting cost-efficient power supplies and keeping internal temperatures under control.
- The 8GBCompactFlash Photo Hard Drive — with a new, unmatched 8,000 MB capacity in a tiny one inch size for digital cameras. Capable of storing 2,400 high-resolution (6 megapixel) and 6,400 standard-resolution (3 megapixel) digital photos. It will be sold through selected retail outlets.
More users are replacing ageing desktop PCs with fast, high-capacity notebook computers. Higher capacity, performance and stronger data security are key drivers of this trend. Seagate's new products in this space will deliver new capabilities in all three areas, including:
- Momentus 5400.3 — the first 2.5 inch notebook drive using perpendicular recording. Seagate's new 160GB disc drive will combine higher 5,400-rpm performance with 25 per cent more capacity than the largest notebook drive currently available. The entire disc drive industry will eventually need to transition to the new perpendicular recording technology, and with this announcement, Seagate has stated its claim to be there first.
Desktop PC Drives
- Momentus FDE — Seagate will offer hardware-based full disc encryption technology on its new Momentus FDE family of hard drives, providing the industry's strongest protection against unauthorised access to data on stolen or retired notebook PCs. FDE technology only requires a user key to encrypt all data, not just selected files or partitions, on the drive.
- The New Barracuda 7200.9 — combining 3GB/s SATA-interface throughput - double that of first-generation SATA - with 500GB of capacity, 16 Mbytes of cache and Native Command Queuing (NCQ). The new flagship drive in the Barracuda family, the most popular PC disc drives in the world, will provide higher performance, capacity and the quietest operation in a desktop PC hard drive.
Today's expansion of Seagate's family of external hard drives focuses on new interfaces and capacities, including:
- The new Seagate External Hard Drive — the first external drive with 500GB of capacity from a major hard drive maker. Seagate will also introduce the new FireWire 800 (IEEE 1394b) interface for the external hard drive, the fastest FireWire to date, capable of supporting data rates of up to 800Mb/s.
- The new Seagate Portable External Hard Drive — with an enormous 120GB capacity - the most in its class. In addition, for the first time the Seagate Portable Drive will offer a fast FireWire (IEEE 1394a) option, for robust, on-the-go storage.
"With the expansion of its product line both last year and this, Seagate has shown that it is very agile at customising its technology to fit ever more unique and varied application needs," said Mark Geenen, President of leading market research firm TrendFOCUS. "Seagate's new product line addresses the requirements of more markets than ever before, from automobiles to expandable DVRs, from portable entertainment to high-transaction small-footprint server systems. By designing products for new markets based on specific customer needs, using its ability to exploit underlying technology platforms across markets, Seagate has pioneered a new way of thinking about and designing hard drives."
Seagate is delivering limited quantities of the Seagate 8GB ST1 Series and the Seagate LD25 Series now to selected OEM customers. The Seagate 500GB DB35 Series will be delivered this summer. The Seagate EE25 Series will be delivered this autumn. The Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 and the Seagate 120GB Portable External Hard Drive will start being delivered later this summer. The Seagate 500GB External Hard Drive will be delivered this autumn. The Seagate Momentus 5400 FDE and the Momentus 5400.3 will be delivered this winter.
For more information on Seagate's new products, visit www.seagate.com.
Seagate is the worldwide leader in the design, manufacturing and marketing of hard disc drives, providing products for a wide range of Enterprise, Desktop, Mobile Computing and Consumer Electronics applications. Seagate's business model leverages technology leadership and world-class manufacturing to deliver industry-leading innovation and quality to its global customers, and to be the low cost producer in all markets in which it participates. The Company is committed to providing award-winning products, customer support and reliability to meet the world's growing demand for information storage. Seagate can be found around the globe and at www.seagate.com.
Seagate, Seagate Technology and the Wave logo are registered trademarks of Seagate Technology LLC. Barracuda, Momentus, DB35 Series, LD25 Series, S1 Series, DynaPlay and RunOn are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Seagate Technology LLC. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners. One gigabyte, or GB, equals one billion bytes when referring to hard drive capacity. Accessible capacity may vary depending on operating environment and formatting. Quantitative usage examples for various applications are for illustrative purposes. Actual quantities will vary based on several factors, including file size, file format, features and application software.