If you are having trouble activating your FreeAgent Dockstar, this article should help you diagnose the issue.
Start by checking the status of the LED light on the front of the unit.
Status LED Blink Codes
The light on the front of the network adapter provides information about its current state and can help determine what steps to take in activating your device.
The Seagate FreeAgent Dockstar is booting up.
The Seagate FreeAgent Dockstar is on and correctly connected to the service.
The Seagate FreeAgent Dockstar has booted up properly but failed to connect to the service.
The Seagate FreeAgent Dockstar failed to boot up normally.
Now, we will examine these LED States in more detail.
Blinking yellow (amber) LED:
This issue most commonly suggests a hardware failure, but there are 3 steps that you can try if your FreeAgent Dockstar’s LED is steadily blinking yellow/amber.
- Power down the unit, wait 20 seconds, then power the unit back on.
- Disconnect and reconnect all the cables.
- Try a different Ethernet cable.
If these 3 actions do not succeed in correcting steadily blinking yellow/amber LED state, you will need to replace the device.
Solid yellow (amber) LED:
A solid amber light means the FreeAgent Dockstar is not communicating with the Pogoplug service.
First, verify your Internet connection is working properly. If you can access the Internet from a computer on your network, try the following troubleshooting procedures:
- DHCP - Ensure DHCP is enabled on your router. This is usually a basic setting offered in your router setting page.
- Static DNS - Does your network require you to setup 'static DNS' for each device on your network? If so, please setup 'static DNS' on your router.
- UDP - Ensure UDP traffic is unfiltered, both into and out of your network. If UDP traffic is blocked or filtered, the FreeAgent Dockstar will not properly communicate with the Pogoplug service.
For more information about network configuration, please contact Seagate Support or contact your router manufacturer.
Solid green LED:
A solid green LED coupled with the inability to complete activation could be related to the following issues:
- Error message - "This device is already been registered."
- Not receiving a confirmation email. Make sure to check your email spam filter!
- Receiving an email but the "Click here to activate" link is broken.
If you experience one of these problems, send an email to email@example.com and include:
- The 26-character Device ID
- The Email Address you used to activate your service