A span volume is a group of disk drives collected in a server, not protected by RAID. It is also known as JBOD.
The following provides the steps necessary to create a span volume. It is assumed that:
- You have backed up any/all critical data off of the BlackArmor NAS Server.
- All previous unneeded volumes have been deleted.
- You are currently logged into the BlackArmor Manager with admin privileges.
- Mouseover Storage and click Volumes. The Volumes page opens.
- Click the Add icon. The Volume Add Disk Selection page opens. Select the drive (HDDs) you wish to include in the volume.
- Click Next. The Volume Add RAID Type page opens. Span is the only option.
- Click Next. Enter the following information:
- Volume Name
- Volume Description
- Check whether to Encrypt the volume.
- Enter a Volume Size or check the Max box to use the entire space of the selected drives.
- Click Next. The Volume Add Summary page opens showing you the settings for the volume.
- Click Finish. Volume creation starts processing. When finished, the volume prepares and continues its preparation. This may take awhile depending on the size of the volume.