The GoFlex Home connects to a router on your network. Performance will depend on many network and computer related factors.
Note: The GoFlex Home has a Gigabit Ethernet port (10/100/1000 Mbps).
General tips for faster performance inside your LAN:
Wired > Wireless
- Wired connection to router is faster than wireless.
- Gigabit (ie, 10/100/1000 Mbps) routers are faster than 10/100Mbps routers.
- To get Gigabit performance, you must use a CAT 5E or CAT 6 cable.
- The maximum length for these cables is 100 meters. For longer distances, use a repeater or switch.
Wireless (WiFi) connection:
- Wireless N is faster than Wireless G connection.
- The farther from the router, the slower the connection will be.
- MIMO wireless routers provide multiple antennae and thus faster wireless speeds.
|Type of Network Connection||
(in megabits per second [Mbps])
|The performance is limited by the slowest device in the configuration.|
Note: If you are going to create a backup using Memeo Instant backup, connect the computer straight to the router with a cable (if possible). The first backup has to backup all the data and will take the longer to complete than subsequent backup that only need to backup changed data.
Additional tip: You may see an increase in performance if you do port forwarding for your device. For information on how to set port forwarding on your router, Seagate recommends you either check your router's documentation or visit the www.portforward.com.