The battery in the unit is not user-serviceable. The entire unit can be returned to Seagate for warranty replacement or disposal using the Seagate Warranty return system.
Do not dispose of this product in your household trash. Return it to Seagate or recycle in accordance with local regulations.
For Recyclers Only:
There is a Lithium-Ion battery located in main compartment of the unit.
This battery can be removed following these steps
- Turn the unit on and dissipate the battery (both LEDs should stay off when the power button is pressed, once the battery has drained).
- Remove the rear cover covering the SATA port (if still in place).
- Remove the 4 rubber feet on the bottom of the drive using tweezers.
- Remove the 4 screws (under the rubber feet) using a Phillips head screwdriver.
- Separate the top cover from the rest of the case using a plastic wedge.
- There are multiple plastic latches around the edge; these will likely break as you separate the cover.
- Remove the hard drive from the case (it should lift straight out, it is held by 4 pegs).
- Disconnect the hard drive cable.
- Remove the middle plastic tray (where the hard drive pegs were resting).
- Disconnect the battery from the main circuit board.
- Remove the two screws in the PCBA using a Phillips head screwdriver.
- Remove the circuit board.
- Separate the battery from the bottom cover and it is now ready for recycling.