Step by step procedure for installing and configuring the Maxtor Central Axis.
Windows 2000, XP and Vista Installation
Note: This device is not supported after Windows Vista.
Part 1: Plug it in
- Connect one end of the supplied Ethernet cable to an Ethernet port on your router or switch.
- Connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port on your Central Axis Server.
- Connect the round plug of the power supply to the Central Axis Server's power jack.
- Connect the standard electrical plug of the power supply to your AC power source.
Part 2: Turn it on
- Press the round, black button on the back of your Central Axis Server.
On the front panel, during the startup process, the power light illuminates on the left, and the right side status light will begin to flash. The middle hard disk activity light will flash intermittently.
- Wait for the startup process to finish. This process can take up to one minute.
The startup process is finished when the power and status lights remain solid and the hard disk activity light remains off.
Note: For more information about these lights, see the Central Axis User's Guide on the CD.
Part 3: Install the Software on your PC
- Insert the Central Axis Installation Software CD into your PC. The Welcome screen appears, automatically.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the PC software installation.
- When the PC software installation is complete, a Maxtor Central Axis Manager icon will appear on your desktop.
- Double-click the Maxtor Central Axis Manager icon.
When it opens, it will search for Central Axis Servers on your network. When your Central Axis Server is found, you will see its Host Name and IP address. For example: MSS-000338 (192.168.0.5).
Note: If the message "No Central Axis drives were found" appears, click the link that says: "Click here for more information or troubleshooting tips".
Once it is found, a message will tell you that your Central Axis has no security password set for its administrative function.
- To set an administrator password for your Central Axis, click Manage.
After a few moments, a web browser will open and the Setup (Step 1 of 3) screen for Maxtor Central Axis will appear.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to set up your Central Axis Server.
As you complete the following three steps, click the Next button at the bottom of each screen.
- Set the language, date, and time settings.
Note: You are not required to enable Network Time Protocol. You can do it later.
- Then you can create a name for your Central Axis Server and assign it to a workgroup. You can also set a password for the administrator account (highly recommended).
Note: Leave MSHome as the Central Axis Work Group Name, unless the name of your network is different (and you know its name).
- Finally, if you want to access and share your Central Axis files via the World Wide Web, select Enable under Set Web Access preferences. You can also enter an email address to receive system update and error notifications.
- You will now log in to the Central Axis administration page.
For User Name, type admin.
For Password, type the password you just created and click OK.
Note: If you did not set an administrator password, go to the next step.
- When the Congratulations page appears, click OK and exit your Web browser.
- In Maxtor Central Axis Manager, click the Search for Central Axis button.
Congratulations! You've completed the installation and setup of your Maxtor Central Axis Server.