Due to limitations it is recommended to use a drive that is 2TB or less.
How to set your drive up for the Xbox 360:
The drive needs to be formatted FAT32
How to format the drive FAT32:
Two ways to format the drive:
- Let the Xbox format it
- Attach the drive to the Xbox 360 and format it within settings
- Go to Settings>Storage
- The drive should show as unformatted
- Select the drive and select format - This will erase all data so make sure that all data is backed up.
- Format using your operating system.
- Format with DiscWizard using the following article - Format FAT32 with DiscWizard
- Open Disk Utility
- Select the drive with the capacity listed
- Select ‘Erase’ button
- Change format to MS-DOS
- You can change the name if you would like to
- Select ‘Erase’ at the bottom of the Window.
- If the drive is not being detected, try a different port on the Xbox.
- If the drive is plugged into a USB hub try removing from the hub and plugging it directly into the Xbox.
- If the drive is still having issues take it to a Windows machine and run SeaTools for Windows on the drive.
- For additional information and troubleshooting, see these Microsoft articles:
Manage game data
Supported Media Playback
Troubleshoot Xbox 360 Hard Drives
Xbox 360 - Install, play, and delete games