The FreeAgent Desktop drive does not come with any software. Once you connect the device, it should show up under the My Computer (Computer on Vista) with a drive letter just like any other hard drive or storage device connected to your system.
There are several different ways to move information or backup information to the drive. The most common way to backup/move information is using the "Copy and Paste" or "Drag and Drop" functions.
Copy and Paste:
- Locate the file(s) you would like to copy or backup.
- Right-click or Control-Click on the file and select "Copy".
- Open the external drive from the Desktop by double-clicking on it.
- Right-click or Control-Click in a blank area on the drive and select "Paste".
Drag and Drop:
- Open Windows Explorer.
- Locate the file(s) that you would like to copy or backup.
- Left-click, and hold, on one specific file.
- Drag the file(s) to the external drive icon on the Desktop or the specific folder and let go.
See this KB article for more information.
The customer can use the Microsoft backup utility available in Windows and Vista. For more information on copy and paste, Drag-and-drop and the Microsoft Backup utility refer to Microsoft's Website.
(Seagate provides no support for the Microsoft backup utility.)
Third party utilities:
Third party backup software can be a good alternative. (Seagate provides no support for 3rd party utilities.)
Seagate DiscWizard can be used to create image backup files or clone a disk. The software comes equipped with an image-restore feature and the capabilities of creating bootable restore media. The customer can create entire system images or logical drives. Customers can also restore the entire image or individual files or folders from the image backup. See here for more information.
Finally, please make sure to always safely remove the drive from the computer before disconnecting the drive. Please see Answer ID: 192211.