The following article addresses frequently asked questions about Toolkit Backup for Windows.
Where is my backup data located?
- Toolkit stores the backup data in the following location:
- X is the drive letter for your external drive
- NOTE: Your drive letter will be different and may change depending on the number of drives connected
- In the C folder the data is traditionally located in the Users folder, but it can vary depending on the settings you choose for your backup
- If you are backing up more than one computer, select the computer name containing the data you are looking for at the time
Is my drive supported by Toolkit?
What operating systems does Toolkit support?
Can I use Toolkit Backup on Windows and Time Machine on macOS?
- If you need to back up a Mac and Windows machine, it is recommended to have a drive dedicated to backing up each machine since Time Machine requires the drive be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Use Time Machine on the Mac and Toolkit on the Windows machine.
What Toolkit features does my drive support?
How long does the first backup take?
- The length of time varies so it is best to start the backup when you can leave the backup for several hours since there is no way to know how long it will take.
What type of backup is Toolkit?
- Toolkit is an incremental data only backup. Toolkit will only backup files that have been changed or modified since the last backup.
What does Toolkit backup?
- Toolkit is a data only backup, no operating system, program files, or hidden files will be backed up by Toolkit. Click here to see a list of excluded items
What if I want to back up my computer’s operating system?
- If you are looking to create a system backup that contains your operating system, programs, and data then you need to create an image backup using one of the following options:
- With DiscWizard provided for Seagate drives - Click here for DiscWizard support
- With the built-in Windows system image backup utility. This process varies by operating system but a quick internet search for Windows image backup should provide plenty of resources
- For LaCie drives you will need to use the Windows system image utility.
Can I back up one external to another external drive?
- No, Toolkit does not support backing up an external to another external
Can I back up a network drive with Toolkit?
- No, Toolkit is not designed to detect network drives as a source or destination
Can I back up more than one Windows computer with Toolkit to the drive?
- Yes, you can back up more than one computer to the drive
- The data will be stored based on the computer name
Can I have more than one backup plan on the same computer?
- Yes, but it will only work if you have more than one drive. If you only have one drive then no, Toolkit will only allow you to create one plan.
Can I back up more than one user on the same Windows computer?
- Yes, you can back up more than one user on the same Windows computer but the user with Toolkit installed needs to have access to the other Users profile.
- The easiest way to do this is:
- Log in as the Admin user with Toolkit installed
- Navigate to the secondary user
- Try to access the secondary user data
- A prompt should ask if you want to give the primary user permission
- Verify you can access data on the other user from the primary user
- Once verified, Toolkit should be able to back up both users’ data
Can I access my drive while the backup is running?
- Yes, you can access your external drive while the backup is running
My drive is full, what should I do?
Why did my backup fail?
- A backup may fail for a few reasons, please go to the Toolkit support page for more specific articles on backup failing.
Can I backup my emails?
- It is best to use the built-in tools that are part of your email client. This ensures that everything is backed up correctly so if you need to restore, it will restore correctly - Click here for more detail
Can I backup my favorites?
- Most browsers store favorites in a hidden folder which Toolkit will not backup. It is best to export your favorites using your browsers settings.
What is the difference between Backup and Mirror?